Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to School Means Keeping Wine Open Longer

I start school again tomorrow. I only had two weeks off between classes this time, but it feels different because for the first time the end is in sight. This is my last year, and I will graduate in May. And when it's all said and done, I will have a masters degree - an MBA in International Business.

Wow.

Now is the time for me to start asking myself: "So, what was the point of all that?" And that is a very good question.

It has occurred to that wine is a very international business by nature, and I'd be lying through my teeth if I said that wasn't a very, very appealing direction. Any wineries or distributors out there want to hire an MBA? Haha... (but no, seriously...)

But that's still about a year away. I have five more courses to get through first. And that is kind of a big deal since it's invariably going to cut into my wine appreciation time. It will take me longer to go through a bottle once opened.

Here's my current wine-saving protocol: stick a stopper in it (which I got as a party favor at a friend's wedding) and put it in the fridge. Yes, even if it's red. If I happen to have two open bottles, I'll cap it off with some aluminum foil. Ta da! I'm sure there are better methods out there. I should probably look into one of those wine saver vacuum pump kits.

However, I have to wonder if this is a good argument for screw caps. The problem with a cork is that once it's open, it's open. Sure a cork is an aesthetically pleasing, satisfying bit of tradition dating back to the cavemen who poured their pinot noir into wooden cups and coconut shells around their bonfires. I get it. But fast forward a few million years to me, my eyes bleeding from reading a hideously boring text on information systems management, and dammit, I need to keep it for more than a day or two!

Or, half bottles. A half bottle would be awesome. Wine for a single girl whose cats are sadly disinterested in splitting a full-size bottle with me.

Wait. I mean, "For a single girl who is too busy to split a full-sized bottle of wine with a date since she has no time for dating while grad school commands so much of her time." Right!

3 comments:

  1. Try Half Wit Wines, who sell all the wines that come in half bottles! You'd be surprised. http://www.halfwitwines.com/

    Good luck! I have the same problem: My wife doesn't drink, and I can't finish a whole bottle in a day or two (or three -- I'm a lightweight).

    mac mccarthy
    savvytaste.blogspot.com
    twitter: MacMcWong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relay very happy to read this topic thanks for sharing...

    ___________________
    rozy
    Increase your brand popularity overnight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry, Becky! You're a great storyteller! A lovely lyrical lesson in liquid libations! = more alliteration for ya. :D
    Samantha
    Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

    ReplyDelete